Friday, February 6, 2009

Flashback Friday

A couple of weeks ago I was going through boxes and drawers with Mom and found an interesting article dated February 6, 1936 from the Utah State University Student Newpaper. Each week it has a column that spotlights students from the various high schools.

Trimmings From the Thumbnail

This week we are doing Granite high, from south Salt Lake, where men are football players and women eat like horses......

Margery Bruerton - timourous soph - features so small they scarcely cover her face - slim as a soda straw - or our chances for celestail glory - was once an "A" student - hangs her head in shame now - helps people in moments of distress - her first date broke down her resolve to hate men - still going with him - wants to be a textiles expert, but takes so much time to eat that she hasn't time to study - affectionate only when asleep.

4 comments:

G'pa and G'ma Woody said...

WHHHAAAAATTTTT? How did you find that? That is beyond amazing!!! THank you SO much for this wonderful little tidbit, Glenn! When I read the "Soda straw" part, I thought of Christa. Our "soda straw" girl! Love, Jane

Cook with Tom said...

Awesome!! Makes me wonder what she did to force her to hang her head in shame.... Must be genetic.

Jeni said...

I don't know why this post made me cry...was it because it made margery real..like I could get a glimpse of her as a person, or because it explains my obsession with food?
Thank you Glenn...for the tears today...they're a good kind of tears. :)

aLi said...

oh man, that is funny! I had to re-read it b/c I didn't understand what they were trying to say about her.
am I the only one?