Sunday, February 1, 2009

A BIG Anniversary!

Somehow I missed it, but January 20th was Grandma Annie and Grandpa Gaius Call's 100th wedding anniversary. I wonder what they did to celebrate?
Grandpa was born in Chesterfield, Idaho. His parents wanted him to go to college in Logan but he didn't like it so he returned to Chesterfield and became a sheepherder.

Grandma was born in Salt Lake City but was orphaned when she was only nine years old. She lived for a while in Spring City (down by SaraJo) but eventually ended up in Chesterfield where her older brother, Carl, (you might have seen his peg leg in the Chesterfield museum) worked as a sheepherder. Grandpa was twenty-four, Grandma was seventeen. Grandpa's mother strongly oppossed the marriage, (she didn't want her son to marry a poor orphan of an emigrant family) so they eloped to Pocatello on January 20, 1909. They were married for thirty-four years and had six children.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

I am amazed on several levels. Today I was looking at Caroline and wondering where she got her chin dimple. Look at Grandpa Call's chin.

Second...Scott and I have been married over 38 years...4 more than them. Wow. She died too early!

Thanks once again...for being our little historian and keeping us all informed! love, Jane

Misty said...

Do you remember all this information, or do you have to look it up often? It is amazing to me. I love reading about our ancestors, just don't ask me to remember any it!

Glenn and Lance said...

Most of the time I just happen to come across it. Maybe somebody is whispering in my ear :)

Jeni said...

Those crazy fools in love eloping like that!
Thanks Glenn!

Misty said...

I have a chin dimple too, I call it my bum chin. My Dad has one too though, so I can't claim mine exclusively from the Call family.