Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Sweden

I've been looking for information on Sweden where my Grandmother Call's family was from. I found this little bit of interesting info.

"In Sweden, Glenn is a very common first name in the western parts of the country but especially in Göteborg,"

(pronounced 'Y Y y o o T T E E E E B O O R G' - think sing-song - how the Swedish Chef on the Muppets talks.)

"Everybody has the name Glenn, both women, men and dogs. The only person from Goteborg who is not called Glenn is Leif Pagrotsky, who is so small that nobody has ever seen him. This was very prevalent in the local football team IFK Goteborg which in the early 1980s had no less than four players named Glenn, including Glenn Hysen. This inspired supporters to use a chant called "Alla heter Glenn i Göteborg (Everybodys name is Glenn in Goteborg). "
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EzGCNZDe9bU
It's kind of a catchy tune! (I don't think any of my nieces or nephews will name one of their kids after me, maybe they'll name a dog after me.)

3 comments:

aLi said...

That was soo funny!!! I'm getting "the look" because I'm laughing so hard while Josh is studying. I watched 3 of the 4 videos you posted, they were hilarious, too. Glenn sounds like a nice name for our daughter. We still haven't OFFICIALLY decided (though we can't agree on anything but Amelia). So, perhaps in 5 more weeks you'll hear about a girl named Glenn. ;) Just kidding, I won't lead you on for that long. Thanks for your hilarious post (and hilarious comment on Jeni's blog, too!)

Kalynne said...

Did you see I put pics of the clean up day on my blog?

Jeni said...

All Hail Glenn! You ARE famous!